Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Post#1

Question: Beli was once mistreated by a family that took her in after her family had died. Then La Inca found out that her and Beli were distant relatives and took her in. Why is Belis' behavior toward her children so mean considering the fact that she knows what being mistreated feels like?

Comment: Being that Yunior is not part of the De Leon family, I don't see why he knew so much about the family. Families can be very open and with that I agree, but Yunior knew a lot of private details about the family. Even though Yunior and Oscar were roommates at Rutgers University, I don't recall Oscar sharing much of his personal issues with Yunior. Yunior is very comfortable with pushing Oscar around when basically forcing him to exercise when Oscar repeatedly refuses which to me is a little over top considering the fact that they are not related.

Critique: I do not like the fact that the story is constantly moving to different points of view and people talking about one another in different person. I found the jumping around from different time to time in the book to be extremely confusing considering the fact that the story starts in the present and the next thing you know it's the year 1955. If the story was just told by the narrator, Yunior, I believe it would've made a lot more sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment