Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Dutiful Hijas

Comment: I love learning about different cultures and the different roles that men and women take in them. Norma isn't given a name when she is approached, yet she is reffered to as the daughter of someone. Norma makes key distinctions as being a wife or a daughter is the aspect of personal identity for Puerto Rican women. I connected with Norma when she was helping her mother. As a daughter she is obligated to help her mother once she is divorced and sick, or else she'd just feel guilty. I totally agree. I'd feel guilty as well if a family member was sick, and I'd want to be there to help as well. Throughout the story, Norma's mother gets a job and makes new friends and receives financial independance from her daughter and husband. I found this interesting because of Norma's explanations about her friends parents. Her mother wanted to be independant so that Norma could start and continue working on her own life and career. This story was very touching because I know that I'd like to be there for my family always, but I would also like to have the ability to create a successful future for myself to be able to give back to my family all that they gave to me.
Question: Why do they believe in these gender roles such as marianismo or machismo? Do they really believe that all hispanic men as masculine? If so, why do Normas' parents get divorced?
Critique: I disagree with the fact that women should be submissive to the male. I don't agree with the fact that Normas' brother was able to finish college and go on with his life, yet Norma had to stop everything she was doing with her life and go back to Puerto Rico to take care of her mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment